While we are still considering your complaint:

We aim to investigate your complaint fairly, efficiently and transparently, however we understand that, sometimes, despite our best efforts, things can go wrong. We are committed to working with you to successfully resolve any issues or problems that may occur during the course of your complaint.

If you have concerns about any aspect of the service we provide you should first raise them with your assigned caseworker. If you are not satisfied with the response you receive, or wish to escalate your concerns, you should ask for them to be passed to your caseworker?s line manager who will consider any issues you have raised in consultation with the Head of Casework at the JCIO. Your caseworker will provide you with details of their line manager, and how to contact them, upon request.

Once your complaint has been concluded:

The Judicial Appointments and Conduct Ombudsman

Once your complaint has been concluded, if you remain dissatisfied with any aspect of how we have handled your complaint, you may be able to complain to the Judicial Appointments and Conduct Ombudsman (JACO).

Below are some examples of the powers of the Ombudsman and the type of complaints he can consider.

The Ombudsman can

  • Investigate how the JCIO, a Tribunal President or local Magistrate?s Advisory Committee handled your original complaint or the processes used.
  • Set aside a decision made by one of the above bodies and direct that they look at your complaint again.
  • Recommend that the above bodies write to you and apologise for any failings.
  • Suggest payment of compensation for losses suffered as a direct result of any mishandling of your complaint.

The Ombudsman cannot

  • Investigate a complaint if your original complaint is still being investigated by JCIO, a Tribunal President or local Magistrate?s Advisory Committee.
  • Investigate the concerns you raised in your original complaint, only the way in which your complaint was handled.
  • Consider a complaint about a decision made by the JCIO, a Tribunal President or a Local Magistrate?s Advisory Committee, only the process that these bodies have followed.
  • Take disciplinary action against any judicial office holder.